Randy's Riflings

Quotes for the Week: May those that love us, love us - And those that don't love us, - May God turn their hearts. - And if He doesn't turn their hearts, - May He turn their ankles - So we will know them by their limping. ~Old Irish Blessing

Sunday, May 18, 2008

RUGER 10/22 PROJECT AND PVC RIFLE REST

When I was building this nifty PVC rifle rest for my 10/22, one thing led to another once again. I decided to "float" the barrel using the factory barrel and old black walnut stock. This made the rifle much more accurate. I checked into the options to make it even more accurate, and found out a "Bull Barrel" and a trigger job would be the most cost-effective. This barrel is about twice the diameter of the stock one, at 0.920". Well, those were done, and I had to "float" the barrel once more for the new, much larger bull barrel. Now it is shooting as straight as I can expect. I can shoot a dozen bullets and only leave 8 or 9 holes since some of them go into the same hole. When that was done, the last thing to do was to refinish the walnut stock. I experimented with my usual Minwax oil finish in a natural tint first. I didn't like this, so I applied Minwax paste wax finish, which didn't flatter the open grain. I stripped this off, and settled for good old Polyurethane finish in a semi-gloss. It's done - FOR NOW anyway. At least it's as done as any project can be.
































































































































Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home